Monday, September 29, 2014

Generation 4 - Chapter 3

June was tingling with excitement when she got home. 
" Mom! You'll never guess what happened while I was out!" 

Wilson never asked her not to talk about meeting him..... 















June wasn't sure if her mom was believing anything she said but she could tell she was amused by her excitement. 
"I'm so happy you met someone you like so much dear." 

June couldn't wait for Wilson to call her, she had to see him again! 
"Let me take you out to dinner, I promise no one will notice us.." 















It had only been a few hours since they'd parted but it was a relief to see him again. It was like she had known him her entire life. She threw herself into his arms and he didn't hesitate to hug her back. It was divine! 















They had a wonderful time! It was surreal for June. She was bursting with questions while at the same time she felt comfortable and familiar with him. She learned that the fae were a very playful and loving people and were tired of hiding in the shadows. They loved their trees and being out in nature but missed being part of the greater community. They had been driven into seclusion so long ago that no human in the area even remembered the stories of what happened. Fairies were tales told to children. The fae on the other hand still had several living elders that had survived the near massacre of their people. If it wasn't for the thinning of the barrier between the worlds, the fae would still be in hiding, waiting for the world to be ready for their return. But odd things were happening. Things the elders couldn't ignore. Zombies weren't the worst thing that went bump in the night... 

Curfew was coming. June had to get home or risk getting grounded. Before she could think about the possibility of rejection, she had her lips pressed tight against Wil's mouth. Even better, he was kissing her back. It made her scalp tingle and her body get a rush of warmth. 



































Suddenly he pulled away. 
"I must go. People are starting to stare. I can't risk being discovered. We....shouldn't meet like this again. I'm sorry....I have to leave..." 

Before she could protest he was gone. People continued to stare and whisper. June was too hurt and confused to pay any attention. She fled to her car. She didn't remember the drive home, the next thing she remembered was locking the door to her room and throwing herself on her bed. 
"What the heck just happened? Why did he leave like that? What's wrong with me?" 


June was in a bad mood. She had not heard from Wilson in over a week. She went back and forth placing blame on herself for having done something wrong, and him for running away without an real explanation. People in school had started whispering about her again. Not that she cared what they thought...but still... 






















She tried to stay busy. She started selling her inventions under a pseudonym at the consignment store. She was already halfway to the top of her profession and she was barely 16! 















Occasionally she had to meet up with local artists to pick up work her mom had had commissioned. It was boring, but it guaranteed the got her school work done. 















Out of the blue she received a text from Wilson. 
"Meet me behind the mausoleum. Don't tell ANYONE."















Without thinking she grabbed the keys to the SUV and started out the door. Then she paused. 
Why should I go? He's been ignoring me for weeks now. Does he really think I am just going to jump at his beck and call? But I want to see him. Maybe he doesn't deserve to see me. What if something is wrong? What if he's in trouble?
June stood motionless in the doorway for several minutes going back and forth in her head. She finally decided to go. Her curiosity was powerful. Even if it wasn't what she hoped, she just HAD to know. 

She expected him to already be there and was disappointed at having to wait for him. Finally she peaked around the corner and saw him floating towards her. 
Oh wow, those wings! I won't ever get used to seeing him fly! 















"June! I'm so glad you came. I was worried you wouldn't show. I know you must be mad at me. I'm not supposed to be here, but I just had to see you." 















She new she should be angry, livid even, but all that melted away as she looked into his eyes. He explained how things were getting bad. More and more zombies were appearing. The fae were having a hard time stopping them and hiding their existence. Wilson also hinted at more terrifying things coming around too. Things that scared even the fairy warriors, but when June asked he became very evasive. 

"I'm sorry I can't tell you everything. I want to, I do! But I have been sworn to secrecy. Just know that our best and bravest are hiding in the night to stop the terrors from taking over the humans that live here. The Great Counsel has been meeting for days. There is talk of fleeing and leaving the humans to fight for themselves!" 















"I couldn't bear to leave you, but I'm especially young by fae standards and if the elders decide to leave, I'll have no choice!"















"I'll come see you every moment I can. I need you to promise me that you will never, NEVER, go outside during the full moon. Promise me? I have put enchantments around your house, but they'll only stop things from breaking in, It won't stop them from being near or waiting for someone to come outside." 















After promising him to stay inside, Wilson left. He promised to come see her again as soon as he could. 

Head spinning, June went home. If she could believe in fairies, and not the tinkerbell sort, then she also had to believe in zombies. Not to mention whatever it was that was supposed to be worse. 
I wonder what could be worse than zombies? 




2 comments:

  1. Ooh, such intrigue, I like it! And I like Wilson, it'll be interesting to see how their lives play out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter. I had A lot of fun writing Wilson and fairies.

      Delete