Sunday, October 12, 2014

Generation 5 - Chapter 16

Wind is in mourning and questioning her life choices. She's trying to decide why she's in Hidden Springs and if she should stay. She's suddenly feeling pressured by the Fae to adhere to the customs. To assimilate or leave. She is a bit lost when it comes to the traditions and is very aware that she thinks differently from the locals, mortal and fae alike. (the humans are outnumbered by about 10 to 1, they're not fully accepted except by those who hold them dear. They're not openly discriminated against but they're def not held as equals. That discrimination is slightly less toward human offspring of a fairy and human coupling (b/c the next gen could be Fae) but the general ideal is that fairies should mate with fairies). In the Fae life, marriages are arranged by the parents while the children are still young though and it's common to dedicate 2 to each other regardless of age if it advances the needs of the families and communities. Being as how long lived the Fae are, dedicating an infant to a teen isn't a big deal, they're not to consummate until the youngest reaches a certain ages regardless. Fae mate for life and upon the death of one, the other is expected to find a new mate that the old mate pre approved. If the death was sudden and there were no pre-arrangements left, then the Elders reserve the right to deny a marriage if the new, to-be spouse is found wanting in some way. 

Wind is definitely living outside the regs and she's feeling the pressure. 

She decided not to make Elgon's birthday a public event, much to her fathers displeasure. She wanted to decide for herself if/how she fit into life here. She and Elgon stayed closed in for several weeks and had a small party. Just the 2 of them and the butler 





























Eglon turned out to be quite handsome but developed a terrible fear of water and wanted to spend ALL of his time at the computer 





























Word got out that Wind was becoming a shut in and keeping Eglon away from their preconceived ideas of his role in life (ie he needed to be pledged to a mate) 
She was ordered to present herself to her father for discipline 















She hadn't realized that Wilson had moved to leave behind the painful memmories of June 

Ephriam was still with him, Wind still couldn't stand him. 















"Listen, I know what you think of me, and you don't have to even try to like me. But I want you to know that I understand how you feel. Like an outsider that will never fit in. At least you have a choice. You could fit in if only you tried. I will never be part of this community. Don't take for granted what I would give anything for. You should also know that I am engaged to a human. I have been taught how....addictive...fairy blood is to my kind. I have sworn an oath to never take that chance. It's too late for me to return to my family, but I am going to try to live my life here as best as I can. You should think about that."















"Hey, uh, Dad! Nice house. When did you move here?" 
















"My new wife thought it would be bad taste to live in my past wife's home, So after the wedding we moved here." Wilson said very matter of factly 
"WHAT??"















"It's time for you to make plans for Elgon as well. We've given you and your child special considerations. No one will force you to do anything, but you're going to make his life much much harder if you continue rejecting our ways. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but as your father it's my responsibility to make sure you understand how your choices will effect the way the community treats my grandson." 















Wind was speechless! She'd heard her father's lectures about tradition and beliefs and what was expected of her to do for Elgon....but she heard 'my new wife' and couldn't focus on anything else. These Fae really take the rules seriously! The idea that her mother had picked out a successor was more than she could process. 

"I....I think I need to go...." 


2 comments:

  1. :O This must be s much to take in for her :/ Is she going to move again? Not sure what else she can do besides abiding by their laws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to SP I had to do some quick thinking to cont my story. Things in HS get a little crazy! And those fairies are very set in their ways.

      Delete